Sunday, August 16, 2009

LOLLA RECAP: Day 3

I usually don't write on Sundays, but this will have to be an exception.

I had anticipated the last day of Lollapalooza to be the thrasher of all thrashers [in lollapalooza land, anyway]. I woke up early [no hangover, surprisingly] and headed over to the park by myself in order to catch a decent spot for Bat For Lashes. I've been looking forward to seeing Natasha's set for a while and missed it when she came to Philadelphia a few months back. As I waited impatiently in the sun for her and her band to come on, I listened to Ra Ra Riot who were playing on the stage directly behind us. The heat beat down hard this last day and if you didn't come with refillable water bottles, you were basically screwed.

At 1:30 pm Bat For Lashes came on prepared with more percussion instruments than one can handle, a bejeweled microphone stand and two small angel statues. Natasha was gorgeous to say the least [totally crushing on her]. Her voice was on point the entire set even though she apologized in advance if the heat caused any mishaps.



The heat was so intense this day that I needed to take a breather and sit for a while until I met up with my crew to catch a little bit of Dan Deacon's set and wait until Vampire Weekend.

Dan Deacon started out with technical issues on stage and decided that it was a good idea to announce them on his microphone for the entire crowd to hear. I heard a lot of "is he serious" as people walked by. I didn't blame them. I guess he was serious because he said "I might seem like an asshole, but I don't really care." He soon gained back my respect by making the crowd do all sorts of interactive activities to make for quite an interesting show.

Vampire Weekend was another band I was really looking forward to since they released one of my favorite albums of 2008. I'll say in short, they absolutely did not disappoint. It came down to me about to leave for Passion Pit, hearing a song and saying "oh, I'm staying for this one!"

As soon as VW ended, I basically jogged over to Passion Pit and was half surprised by the crowd that joined them. I say half surprised because the blog hype for these dudes was incredible [i'm also to blame, i guess]. They played mostly all of the new album and some songs from the EP which brought a huge grin to my face. I just wish they had a bigger stage to get wild on. Maybe next year.



After Pashy Pit, I was pretty much baked until The Killers later that night who played an amazing set on the Chicago 2016 stage. They played all the faves, naturally, plus a bunch that just ended Lolla on the best note I could imagine. After the fest was over, the crowd took the streets and we all had smiles on our faces as bright as the sun who luckily set a few hours before. Perfect ending to a perfect weekend. Thanks, Lollapalooza! See you soon! [hopefully with a camera that I don't end up losing]

No comments:

Post a Comment