Saturday, August 15, 2009

LOLLA RECAP: Day 1

My friend and I packed the car up early Thursday morning to head out to Chicago with no solid idea of what to expect from the beast called Lolla. After driving for a solid 13 hours or so, we finally got to our destination of FUN.

Day 1 of Lolla started a little later for us than we expected. I decided to skip out on The Gaslight Anthem and head over to meet up with fellow bloggers @anthoNYC and @creamteam to see White Lies who were tearing it up at the Budweiser Stage. On record, I'm not a big fan of White Lies, but I have to say that they definitely sold me with their performance.


Before White Lies ended, I left the crew to travel solo for a little and get a decent spot for Bon Iver. It took me a while to sneak my way between peoples shoulders and under peoples legs [not quite, but almost] but I got a good enough spot to see them quite clearly and be surrounded by other fans who were just as stoked as I was regardless of the annoying amount of rain. Highlight was Skinny Love, duh.


After the crowd fled from Bon Iver to see other bands, I had a little window of time to gather myself together and wait for Fleet Foxes to come on. Their harmonies were thick and perfect enough to take everyone away from the rain and off to a land where foxes play in the sun. Oh, and the picture is further proof that Robin really needs a new flannel shirt.


I took another rain break and headed for shelter so unfortunately I missed Andrew Bird. I did however, make it in time to check out both Kings Of Lean and Depeche Mode who were playing on opposite ends of the festival. A little walking and dodging never hurt anyone. I'm personally not a big fan of Kings Of Leon so they didn't really do anything for me with the live show, but Depeche Mode was another story. Since I got to the stage a little late for them, I was kind of stuck watching them from a far but was surrounded by die hards and parents with kids who were having the best time of their lives. I don't blame them either.

PS: In case you're wondering, I lost my camera the last day of the fest. I don't think I need to tell you that I was Pissed - capital "P." Thanks to Anthony C for letting me use his pictures for the recaps. More to come later/tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment