Saturday, August 15, 2009

LOLLA RECAP: Day 2

Day 2 of Lollapalooza started a little bit earlier for us than it did the day before. Luckily, the sun was on our side and it dried up all the rain. We kicked the day off with Miike Snow @ the vitamin water stage @ 1:30 pm. I've been a fan of Miike Snow for quite some time with the release of their self titled debut LP. They started the set wearing all black - pants, long sleeve shirts and probably shoes as well. They also sported white masks until the start of the second song. All in all it was a solid set along with the lead singers solid beard. I have some competition when the winter rolls around [I go beardless in the summer.]

[view from my camera phone]

After Miike Snow I headed over to catch some of Ida Maria's set. I'll have to admit, I've never listened to her stuff before this show, but I've heard a good amount of hype and there was no one else I had planned to see in that time slot. She definitely impressed with her energy, her open shirt and her Joplin-esque snarls and growls.

Next up on my own personal schedule was Chairlift. Honestly, I like them better on record than live. Or maybe Lolla just wasn't the right venue for their slow, shoe-gazing and dreamy indie rock. My question still remains though, were her "tattoos" real of just drawn on?


I stuck around the Vitamin Water stage and hung out to watch No Age which didn't really do much for me until I decided it was time to venture over to Santigold. I sooner found out that waiting until she went on was a mistake because the crowd going to see her created a bottleneck of epic proportions and I ended up calling it quits and got food instead. Missing out on Santigold gave me a really good spot for Lykke Li though. She jammed out all the favorites and was later joined by the Miike Snow frontman for a cover of Kings Of Leon's "Knocked Up."

I left Lykke Li a little early to get situated for Animal Collective. I generally like most of they do on record and anticipated a whirly, fun and energetic live set but was soon left yawning and bored out of my mind. Basically, they played 4 songs - amazing songs on album - but those 4 songs took up their hour long set because they apparently love to do long jam sessions. "Brother Sport" did make me join the sing along though. So they weren't a complete fail.

After Ani Co, we were exhausted. I had no real intention or interest in seeing either of that days headliners so we decided to take a seat near the famous Buckingham Fountain. Sunday will soon prove to be a banger.

No comments:

Post a Comment