Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Playlist


In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I gathered a few songs for your enjoyment that either come from country of origin or have been influenced by their music.

Los Dynamite are an indie-rock band based out of Mexico City who write songs in english - very well I should say. Their last album Greatest Hits was released back in 2006. Peter Hook of New Order says "Sounds like Mark E. Smith on ecstasy!" I think it's worth a listen:
Los Dynamite - Ready Ready

I seem to post about Beirut a lot, but whatever. Earlier this year he released an EP called March of the Zapotec with the help and influence of Oaxacan musicians Banda Jimenez. At first listen I was a little disappointed. Then I saw him perform these songs live with the Vassar Orkestar and I was blown away.
Beirut - The Shrew

A few days ago my friend Becky did an excellent post about how Mexican Institute of Sound is greater than the swine flu. Simply scroll down to see it.
Mexican Institute of Sound - Cumbia

Rodrigo Y Gabriela have been in my iTunes for quite a while. A good friend of mine used to work for their distribution and gave me a copy of their s/t debut album. I've been hooked ever since.
Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Tamacun

Now go drink some tequila and enjoy your 5th day of May!

No comments:

Post a Comment