Saturday, April 25, 2009

Tea Shop Review: Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career


While working at "tea shop" [I'm leaving it un-named for various reasons], I often get the chance to plug in my iPod and chill with some tunes to help pass the time. "Tea Shop" was really slow with business today so I put on the new Camera Obscura album that I recently received while I sipped on some Darjeeling. I only heard a little of it earlier today while getting ready to leave the house.

The opening track "French Navy" kicks off their latest album damn well with blasting drums and Tracyanne Campbell telling us about her week spent at a dusty library. The song really caught me when the trumpets and violins kicked in around the 1:00 mark. I was involuntarily tapping my toes and bobbing my head while talking to customers and making drinks. I don't think they minded very much.

The rest of the album made me wish I wasn't at work on such a nice 70 degree weather day. The cranking violins, hammering xylophones, crumbling tambourines and overall infectious pop tunes are really meant to be heard outside, although they did make my work experience at least a little brighter.

Camera Obscura - French Navy
Camera Obscura - The Sweetest Thing

Go ahead and pre-order My Maudlin Career now @ insound dot com. MMC is officialy released on May 19th via 4AD Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment