Tuesday, March 31, 2009

WISHLIST: who would you want to see reunite?

On my way home from work tonight I didn't feel like plugging my iPod into the Aux adapter. So I just listened to whatever I had stuffed in the cd player. It bought back some good memories of when I first starting listening to underground music a ways back. So I thought to myself, MAN, how awesome would it be if they got back together?

Here's my wish list of bands that I would love to see reunite. What are yours?? [click "Holla At Ya Boy" to leave a comment below. Just one rule: everyone in the band has to still be alive]

SHIFT:















Shift were associated with the NYHC [new york hard core] scene in the mid 90's even though they weren't really HARDCORE. They first came on the scene with the release of Pathos in May of 1994 on Equal Vision Records, who at that time were just a little baby record company. In 1995, The band released their second LP, Spacesuit. In 1997, Shift found themselves on major record label, Columbia with the release of Get In. In 1998, the band brokeup.

Their album Spacesuit was the jumping off point for a lot of other bands I found myself crushing over at that time: Converge, Snapcase, BoySetsFire, Shai Hulud, etc etc. Spacesuit was really filled with more rock and roll than anything else though. I wouldn't consider this a hardcore album in the slightest. A must listen for fans of anything rock, alternative, hardcore.

Shift - Pinprick
Shift - Picturesque

What are they doing now?
Samantha: used to play drums for Hole, Motley Crue, Eagles of Death Metal and is currently in the band Peaches.
Josh: formed Big Collapse and released 2 albums. He has new project in the works.
Brandon: don't know, sorry.

REFUSED:














Oh man, I remember when I first saw the video for New Noise. It was dark and heavy and fast and loud. The screaming was so raw and primal. I fucking fell in love. It wasn't until I actually purchased The Shape Of Punk To Come that I really heard what Refused were all about. They pushed boundaries. It wasn't really punk, it wasn't really hardcore, it wasn't just rock and roll. I didn't know what the hell to think. A few years ago I purchased that DVD Refused Are Fucking Dead and I've been craving a reunion show for a long time. It'll never happen.

Refused - New Noise
Refused - Liberation Frequency

What are they doing now?
[from Wikipedia]: Dennis Lyxzén went on to form The (International) Noise Conspiracy while the other members formed the group TEXT.
Dennis Lyxzén and David Sandström also got together with other friends in 2004 to make the self titled The Lost Patrol Band album. As of May, 2008, Dennis Lyxzén and David Sandström have formed a new straight-forward hardcore band under the name AC4.

NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL:














AHH, the mysterious Jeff Mangum. No wishlist is complete with out Neutral Milk Hotel. The simple guitar strumming and the whiny yet articulate vocals make In The Aeroplane Over The Sea an indie must have. This was indie before indie was cool.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

What are they doing now?
Jeff Mangum: no idea. probably plays with some peeps some times. Who knows

Honorable Mentions:
Snapcase
Pavement
American Football
Penfold
Bear Vs Shark
I'll also put Glassjaw here just because they never seem to come back when they say they will. Hmph.

SHARE YOUR WISHLIST!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well nice list so far but come on you forgot the best one PINK FLOYD!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I stumbled on your blog because I work for Equal Vision Records and you mentioned a lot of our previous bands in this post.

    Thanks for writing about Shift, Refused, Bear Vs Shark, etc. All amazing bands that I hope people don't forget!

    I agree with a lot of these especially American Football and Bear Vs Shark. Here are a few to add to the list:

    At The Drive In
    Braid
    Desaparecidos (Don't know if they technically broke up, but they need a new album!! It's been 7 years!)
    The Promise Ring
    Give Up The Ghost

    ReplyDelete