Sunday, February 1, 2009

Heavy Rotations

So, I wanted to start this last month but by the time I thought of it, it was too late. 

Every month [starting with January] I will post a new installment of a thing called "Heavy Rotation." What is this Heavy Rotation junk? Well...we all have a select few albums that we are currently spinning on our record players or cd players or iPods. Every month myself and the rest of the crew will pick our 6 fave records for the past month and post them here and keep them on the side bar under "Heavy Rotation." 

So keep checking back on the first of every month to see what's been spinning the previous month.

Here's what I've been listening to:























Why? and Animal Collective have been in the Heavy Rotation for a while. I still cannot stop listening to either of them. Perfect for the mood and atmosphere of which I am in. 

The Appleseed Cast are old school emo fave who will be releasing a NEW album on February 17th entitled Sagamartha. If you want to hear a few streaming songs from the upcoming album, check out their Myspace page. If you have never heard of The Appleseed cast, I highly recommend Two Conversations [pictured above]

I know you're all looking at the Beirut CD thinking, how the fuck can you be listening to that when it doesn't come out for a few weeks? Answer: I got my sources. The new double EP from Zach Condon's Beirut and his former moniker RealPeople are fantastic. March Of The Zapotec [under his Beirut name] is full of droney horns, pounding drums and swooning vocals that convey a depressing mexican funeral but at the same time can trigger you to dance a waltz. His RealPeople EP, Holland, is a continuation of his former music taste which is more electronic than Beirut has been. Image Zach writing songs like Scenic World [from Gulag Orkestar] and making them about 3 minutes longer. Here they are. And they're beautiful. 

I just started listening to Vampire Weekend again since the summer. So I've been Vampire Weekend-less for a while now. I'm kind of glad I did that, too. Because now it reminds me of summer and how I can not wait for it. If you need to get out of these winter blues clues...Spin this album.

I posted about The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart not too long ago. I really like them.

Ok. Gotta do some homework now

No comments:

Post a Comment